Recently, I received the â€œInstructions For Lifeâ€ by the Dali Lama in an email from a very dear friend.
Whether or not you embrace the teachings of the Dali Lama, these â€œInstructionsâ€ seem very universal to me and something we can all benefit from being reminded about every now and again.
I am always grateful to be reminded of what is truly important. I hope this is a welcome reminder for you too.
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve risk.
- When you loose, don’t loose the lesson.
- Follow the 3 R’s:
–Respect for Self;
–Respect for others; and
–Responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn all the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- In a disagreement with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Judge your success by what you have to give up in order to get it.
- Approach love and cooking with reckless abandonment.
Remember, only YOU can make it happen!