The idea of creating a life purpose statement isn’t new. People throughout recorded history have created statements of belief, intention, personal creeds and other similar statements. Only when we connect with our unique purpose and live through the values that support our purpose can we experience deep and profound personal satisfaction.
The benefit of developing and writing down your life purpose statement is to inspire you. Your life purpose statement is the expression of what you want to be and what you want to do in your life; your unique capacity to contribute in the mental, spiritual, physical and social areas of your life.
Ask yourself these questions. Listen with your ears, heart, mind and your whole body to the answers:
- Why are you here?
- What are you meant to do?
- What do you deeply enjoy doing?
- What have been your happiest moments in life?
- Why were they happy?
- Where would you like to spend most of your time?
- What is innate and inherent to you?
- If you had unlimited time and resources and you could do anything without restrictions, what would it be?
- Do you have a dream or a deep desire that you keep putting on the back burner? What talents do you have that others don’t know about?
- What can you do best that would be of worth to others?
- Who are you to other people?
- What would two or three people in your life say about you?
- What purpose do they see you fulfilling in their lives?
- What is it that so many people rely on you for?
- Who have you been for people?
Just sit quietly for a few minutes letting these images flow in and out of your mind, observing any sensations you may be feeling in your body, sounds you may be hearing or thoughts you may be thinking.
As soon as you can, spend some time writing down the answers to these questions. Answer each question in at least several sentences. Then go back and underline the key words from each sentence and put all of the underlined words on a separate page.
Are there any themes or associations you can make? Are there natural categories that emerged?
Now you’re ready to build your â€œlife purpose statementâ€ from these words and phrases!
When we live from our being we live a life in alignment with our vision, values and life purpose. When we live from our being we can genuinely live our best life and love life; and be loved by another.
Remember, only YOU can make it happen!